Sunday 2 October 2011

How to get on the bus in Dublin

5 years ago I arrived in Dublin to study English. When I was standing at the bus station, to catch a bus to school, I saw a bus approaching, got ready, but the bus just passed me by. More puzzled, about what was going on, I got when the next bus passed me by as well. Luckily I didn't have to stand at the bus stop on my own for to long, and for some reason now the bus did stop, and people, including me, got on.

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to school on time. During my first break, I walked up to my teacher, apologized for my lateness, and said that I didn't know why buses hadn't stopped for me. The teacher asked: "Did you stick out your arm?" and just I replied: "No, why?" And so my teacher said, if I didn't wave my hand bus drivers would not stop, because they think I would not want to take their bus. It was a bit unusual, but fair enough it was not my hometown either.

The following day I got upset when I stuck out my hand and the buses still wouldn't stop for me. I waved my arm , but no change at all, the buses would just fly by. Eventually I got on, and of course I ran late for class again. During my break I told the teacher that I had done exactly as he had told me, but non of the buses had stopped. He said the buses must all have been full.

It seemed weird, because I would not have to push even a little bit to get on to the bus in Dublin. There was enough space.  If you want to see a busy bus, come to Seoul.

No comments:

Post a Comment